Skip to main content

How does it work?

The new Apprenticeship standards were co-developed by employers, professional bodies, training providers and the government, which means the development and demonstration of key skills and behaviours are given equal if not more weighting to technical knowledge. In addition to completing the exams or assignments of a professional qualification, an apprentice must also complete an end point assessment towards the end of their programme.

Through at least 2 forms of assessment, including case studies, reflective statements, professional discussions, projects and portfolios of work, apprentices must pull together all of their technical knowledge and their skills and behaviour training, demonstrating competence across the whole Apprenticeship standard. This broader focus gives you greater confidence apprentices can deliver the best results within their role (and not just be good at passing exams), and will be more suitable for progression opportunities as they arise.

Who can be an apprentice?

The government has an ambitious target to recruit 3 million apprentices by 2020, meaning that the new Apprenticeship Standards are more inclusive than ever before. Under the new standards, current employees and university graduates are both eligible for Apprenticeships, as long as there is substantive new learning taking place. An Apprenticeship programme can include courses from Level 2 (entry level) right the way up to Masters degree (Level 7), and there is no age restriction.

Funding an Apprenticeship

If your company doesn't pay the Levy, you'll only need to pay 10% of the Apprenticeship training costs, and the government will cover the remaining 90%. This also applies to marginal Levy paying organisations who don’t have enough to fund all of the Apprenticeship training they'd like to.

If you pay the Levy, you'll have access to a Digital account where your Levy funds will accumulate until you’re ready to commence Apprenticeship training. You'll need to use an accredited-training provider like Kaplan to make payments from the account. You have 24 months to spend your Levy. If you use all the Levy and still want to engage in more Apprenticeship training, you will be eligible for the 10%/90% co-investment detailed above.

To discuss your Apprenticeship needs…

Request a callback below or call:

0161 259 7400


to receiving updates from Kaplan. I understand that Kaplan will never sell my data and I consent to it being shared with selected third parties for the purposes of performing business services only. Please see our Privacy Policy for further details on how we handle your data.

More services

 
 

Levy Management

 
 

Recruitment Services

 

What is the Apprenticeship Levy?

The Apprenticeship Levy came into effect in May 2017. All UK companies that pay more than £3 million in wages pay 0.5% of their paybill to this new tax.

Find out more

Apprenticeships Insights

Skill and potential lead to training and then growth.

Upskilling your workforce can cost less than you think

  • Article
Training and developing staff can be an expensive luxury. The cost of professional qualification training, combined with the time needed ‘off the job’ to train, can mean this type of expense is reserved for larger organisations with big...
A woman looking at a tablet in an office

Micro Employers: Making Apprenticeships work for your business

  • Webinar
Apprenticeships have gone through significant changes over the last 5 years with the introduction of new funding mechanisms and employer-driven standards, focused around job roles. However, for many micro-employers the relevance of these...
Big Ben and Houses of Parliament

Changes to Apprenticeships in 2017 in England

  • Article
In 2017, we saw a continued move away from Apprenticeship “Frameworks” to “Standards” in England with over 100 new Apprenticeships released across multiple job roles. Since May 2017, we are only using new Standards and have focussed on Acc...