We’re on the hunt for talented accountants to enter the Accountancy Technician Skills Competition in 2020.
In conjunction with WordSkills UK, we’ve launched the first official National Accounting competition designed to reflect the role of an Accountant, and the standards that are expected in the world of finance.
The competition will take the format of a set business case study with accompanying tasks and assessments to be done in the given time period.
Competitors will have to demonstrate the following skills throughout the regional qualifying rounds and final competition:
- Technical competence and commercial acumen
- Ethics and professionalism
- Professional scepticism
- Analytical and critical thinking
- Teamwork and communication
We know that we have incredibly talented apprentices and students at Kaplan, so we want them to show off what they know to the rest of the country. There will be students from many different training providers, so it’s a great opportunity to meet
others and share knowledge.
If you’re successful and make it through the National Qualifiers, taking place between April and June 2020, you will then go on to the National Finals held at WorldSkills UK LIVE.
WorldSkills UK LIVE is the UK’s largest skills, apprenticeships and careers event which takes place 19 to 21 November at the NEC, Birmingham.
We'll be hosting heats in our Reading centre over 23-25 June. Other heat locations may be announced before the registration deadline of 2 April.
We hope apprentices and students alike will see this as an opportunity to display their talents to the rest of the country and compete to be recognised as the best young accounting minds in the country.
Richard Marsh, Apprenticeship Partnership Director, Kaplan
If you’re interested in entering the competition you need to make sure you’re aware of the following criteria:
- This is a team competition
- There is a maximum of 3 people per team (minimum 2 people per team)
- There is a limit of one team, per organisation that can be entered to each National Qualifier location
- There is no age limit for this competition
- This competition is intended for those studying, training and/or working in the accountancy sector. As such, you must be familiar with the core competencies listed above, and meet at least one of the following criteria: undertaking a Level 4 apprenticeship
or higher; equivalent qualification (e.g. HND in Accounting); or have completed one these within the past 18 months.
We’re really excited to see what our students can do, and we encourage everyone to take part. It’s a great way to find out just how much you’ve learnt, and show people the skills it takes to be an accountant.
If you’d like to take part you’ll need to register on the WordSkills UK website. Registration closes on 2 April 2020. Good luck!